Our History
Our deepest roots are of course traced to the creation of the world when God created everything and everything that God created was good while giving us the command to be fruitful and multiply. Our sin and rebellion before God has marred that good creation and that good command, yet through Jesus Christ's completed work on the cross and by the power of Holy Spirit we are able to exist as people and as a church who are still able to fulfill the highest call of humanity to be fruitful and multiply.
Tracing our history to much more recent years we can see that both our denomination and our church are examples of movements of God centered on multiplying faith, multiplying disciples, and multiplying the hope of Jesus in our world.
The movement of God that is the Evangelical Congregational Church began just up the road from us in Hinkletown when through the preaching of the Gospel at his child's funeral Jacob Albright discovered that it is by grace and through faith alone that we are saved and came to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. With Albright's conversion not only did God grant him salvation but a burning passion for God and His Kingdom.
The direct call that God put upon Albright's life was to spread the hope of Jesus to German speaking immigrants in the mid-Atlantic region. With this call and passion Albright was able to withstand opposition from the local church of his day and build a band of circuit riding pastors who would give their lives to traveling the region seeking to multiply faith, multiply disciples, and multiply hope in Jesus.
This movement continued past Albright's death at the age of 49 on May 18th, 1908 and would carry into the planting of Mount Airy Evangelical Congregational Church at 480 Springville Road in New Holland. (still an active and partner ministry today)
This body of believers would continue to meet and grow in the Lord and their desire to fulfill the Lord's command to live out a multiplication mindset would lead a small group of their members to begin a Sunday School class in the local school house in White Horse. This Sunday School class would begin in the early 1870's and by the mid 1870's the movement had grown to the point that they were able to purchase our current church property from local farmer and charter church member John B. Kurtz for a price of $300 an acre which was a high price in that day!
The high dollar price was for the placement that our church building still enjoys commanding the hillside and reminding our members that we are called to be a light in the ways and in the name of Jesus in the village of White Horse and to the ends of the earth.
Our current church building was erected and dedicated for its mission in September of 1877 and has every day since existed to help people know and follow Jesus. It is the same missionary zeal to reach the lost and desire to multiply faith that planted our church, and has sustained our church for 145 years that will carry us into eternity seeking to multiply faith, multiply disciples, multiply hope, and as God leads multiply churches through the power of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
A dive into the archives!
We believe that the history of our church, which belongs to the history of this community and to the work of the kingdom of God, is worth remembering. And so, rather than letting so many invaluable records languish in filing cabinets or on forgotten shelves, we'd like to share them with you!
- Brochures, Pamphlets, Bulletins